Martin Luther King Jr. Day!

On Friday I did a lesson with the kindergartners about Martin Luther King Jr. I was inspired by a few blogs for these ideas and will link them up so you can use them as well.

I started out by using a white egg and a brown egg to help getting the children to start generating questions and ideas about the idea of civil rights and what Martin Luther King stood for. Sorry for the bad pictures! I forgot my camera and I had to use my ipad.

Here are the eggs. We started by turning and talking to our partners. We generated questions and asked each other how they are different.

I found this idea through Deanna Jump.

After we discussed the eggs, we cracked them open to see what they look like inside.
The children soon discovered that even though the eggs looked different on the outside, they are the same on the inside. We then began our lesson on Martin Luther King Jr. and discussed that he stood for equal rights for all.
I also found this great FREEBIE from Little Warriors Blog that you can also use for this activity.


We then watched a video of Martin Luther King Jr. There are so many. But this one I chose for Friday.


We also sang this song.


With a few ideas from Kim over at Kindergals, we started our Martin Luther King Jr. project.
I showed them a model on the smartboard. I gave them each a baggie of squares of the colors that they needed. These squares are cut according to the size needed and the children have to cut the corners to make the shapes round. Using this idea, the projects are able to look unique to each child and not cookie-cutter like. Which I hate! Look how great they came out!
                                     
                                                   The black mouth area is a mustache, hard to tell from picture. 

Some of our completed projects!
Kim at Kindergals has this in her unit as well as other great ideas. Visit her at Teachers Pay Teachers for her unit!

                                                                             ENJOY!




0 comments:

Post a Comment




Grab My Button!

Followers

Powered by Blogger.